DAY 113 To Grants?


 Several alarms went off I snoozed them 
But snail the miles I pulled the plug  on my mattress as it had just gone 5am and for a change I burst into action  I was packed up and on trail by 6am good, effort snail
I was impressed as I  set off down the trail, I had planned to do less  filming as the constant stopping was costing me miles.!!

The trail was fairly kind a few ups  and downs but nothing serious. 
My knee was stiff although they both are first thing ,it should relax giving me less grief. 
It was a clear cool morning as i headed down the trail but I’m sure it will heat up.
I was fairly high up but following the contours of the mountains and looking down on the meandering river. I wondered how many times I would cross it today but for now I was just following. 
The trail meandered  in and out as it followed the river around the contours of the mountain, climbing high when it needed  to, then dropping straight down again.
To be fair I was enjoying this and wasn’t bothered about the target I had set myself .
The trail then dropped down in to a wide open meadow. There appeared to be no markers, no cairns or anything just the trail to follow  I checked my app just  to confirm i was heading in the right direction
The trail was sometimes a path and easy  to follow other times it was just a faint line in the grass, sometimes the grass or vegetation  was so thick you wondered if any hikers had been this way at all. Then the trail  would suddenly reappear.
I pushed on trying not to think about mileage or my knee. But my knee often reminded me, so I had to stop to take a break.
Another hiker appeared who I hadn’t seen before I tried to keep in touch  with him but I’d often stop to grab a shot  so he soon vanished.
I pushed on and soon came to my first river crossing of the day, I stopped to swap shoes then waded across. Once across  I thought that it was time for a break, i walked a few yards and found a suitable spot .I took off my shoes and swapped socks .
I should have checked my app as several more  yards was yet another river crossing F*uck, so I changed shoes again otherwise  the exercise  would have been pointless. 
Once across I noticed a marker  for a campsite ,It sounded familiar. So I checked my permit ,wow mine should be the next one.!!!
I did my campsite reservations all on line using my phone so it maybe a complete f*uck-up.
Planning people. I should have done this weeks ago and so I was completely naïve about the whole process. So people plan it before you get on trail and then book it when you are near to Yellowstone.  I would suggest Dubois. So I’m a dork …
I pushed on and it wasn’t long until  I came to my campsite * ( the one I have booked for tomorrow)
Now this has cheered me up as I am heading to Grants so I am 1 day ahead of shedule so my knee can relax a little. (ha ha )
The rest of the day was spent mostly in the forest so very little to see or report  on. Eventually  I  could see Heart Lake. As I got nearer the thunder began and as I set foot onto the beach the sky turned black and the wind grew strong. Its really not ideal to walk along the beach, to me it was like walking on kitty litter with a howling gale.
On a hot summers day I’d been in the water But not today.

AT last the trail turned sharp right and past the rangers hut.
But no-one was at home.
I was passed by several sobos and day hikers all cheerful and chatty , we wished each other good luck and continued in our opposite directions. I pushed on until  3pm then stopped to make tea, the one I had been promising myself all day .

And mmm my cuppa tasted do good.
As I was resting when about a dozen hikers came past heading south. Weekend hikers maybe.?

Red dragon fly

I was just drinking my tea when Special-K came past. She looked  like she was on a mission. 
I finished my tea and headed on.
I was soon passed by special k,’s partner and then Shepherd came past.
I continued on until I came to my first proper hot spring. I was fascinated with all the colours of the pool and the strong smell of sulphur.  But miles , I need the Mile’s. 

I passed several more hot springs, pausing but not for too long.
Then in front was a climb, a bloody big climb  I was annoyed with myself for the long tea-stop, should have pushed on !!. I began the climb but I appeared out of juice and so it was a struggle. 
Omg the climb was long and steep, It took all my reserves to get up it 

3/4  the way up I had a great view of another geyser/ hot pool. This one bubbled away  but was too far for my camera. 
At last I was up but I was flagging. 
There were several spots that I could stealth camp. But no ,it was 6 miles to go and I wanted those  6 miles.  F*uck  yeah 4 miles to go. It was at this point the mossies decided to attack in full force, F*uckers 
I was hiking and swatting and checking my arms and swatting.  F*uck off. It was no good I was loosing it with these bastards . I stopped and got out the 100% Deet and splashed it all over,
That’s much better. 
I pushed on and staring at several suitable camp spots but no , and pushed on.
It then it began to rain, bloody perfect i muttered to myself
What is this? A five minute shower a10 minute shower or longer?
I pushed on and luckily the rain quickly stopped. 

Then I was at the trail head , Wow how did that happen ?
Well done knee it has taken us numerous breaks but we had made it.
Whoop whoop, Okay Grants.
I stood by the road.  and No, no, no no
Then a van coming the other way beeped and turned around.
Omg it was Molly getting back on trail so I had the ride to Grants 
My driver dropped me at the gas station where I brought a six pack then headed for the camp site.

Then this lovely German lady picked me up and took me to the  campsite. I registered then the lovely German lady drove me there.  Brilliant. I found a spot then set up my tent.
I then joined several hikers and bikers (cyclists) at the picnic table.

Great evening 

Mileage  23 whoop


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s