DAY 92 Day 1 in Wyoming

JULY 14th

Didn’t sleep too well guess it was the storm last night. 

But i was up and on trailby 6.30.

I continued down through the woods untill i  got to bottom,here was a meadow covered in long grass.

So I soon had wet feet plus it was also boggy. As crossed I noticed two other hikers behind me but couldn’t make 

out if I knew them .

Once across i couldnt find the trail. The other two caught me it was mudbath and sonic from Hawaie.  Together we located the trail  . See you guys up trail I said as they were much faster than me.

I carried on up the trail  and crossed a dirt road. The trail now began to climb and climb 

God I thought Wyoming  was supposed to be flat.

I chugged on up  but this road  continued to climb and climb. Bloody hell this is steep.but still.  it climbed.  I came to an arrow  scratched in the road  pointing sharply  left.  Lucky I saw it or I would have carried on down the road.  I took the left and followed the trail into the woods .  The trail was poorly traveled and so it was difficult to make out. Sometimes there were  cairns  others times there were posts. But it was very hit and miss.  

Okay water  … in 2 miles . 

I pushed on and was soon in another forest and still climbing 

Bloody hell  this is tough.

I stopped to slurp water and to catch my breath. Then I noticed aother hiker  behind me.

It was Boss a Norwegian  guy.

Almost there he said to me as he passed by.

This was the encouragement  I needed and pushed on after him,catching him by the creek filtering water. I dropped my pack and  did the same.

We began chatting and he has decided to quit the trail and will fly home tomorrow.

As we satb there a Swiss guy called Swiss Chris arrived followed by happy and T-bone

Okay it’s 11 miles to the trail and  to encampment  that’s burger and beer .

This wasn’t originally my plan as I planned to push through to Rawlins .But this sounded like a much better  plan.

So I   took  off after them 

But the next section Was a big climb straight up omg it was steep and didn’t seem to ever stop. I caught sight of Happy gorgeous a moment  thst showed me where the trail was heading.

The trail now turned tight and climbed near a stream before breaking out near the top and snow. Wow thought I had seen the ladt of thst fir a while.

I climbed over two lots then played find the trail. Which was fun and frustrating. The trail wound its way around a large rocky outcrop  and was littered with quartz. Some where big chucks resembled small icebergs.

Once  again the trail was a nightmare to follow. But I made my way through and at last the trail appeared to head down. Towards the bottom was the perfect place to take a break.

As I sat there two deer pased  by until they saw me and bounced off.

Okay snail miles.the trail Once again dropped down into a vally. And down I could hear water flowing.i grabbed another litresnd carried  on  now heading into another wood but still down

Soon I come upon Happy  and T-bone  taking their break.

I pushed on through and began another climb through more rocky terrain. Happy soon came past me .but again I  like to be able to see where the trail goes

The temperature  was now getting  hotter as I  walked though what looked like  a country park.then the thunder rumbled and a few raindrops fell  but the sun soon chased that away. 

I pushed on through the afternoon and was now in long open fields  bordered with trees.

Great I thought I can make som miles up here….But the nice green grass hid Marsh. And I was pushing through bog after bog abd was nit her Happy about it as the mud stank. Sometimes you came to a small creek where you could wash off your shoes  but them it was back  into more stinky mud. ARRRRRHHHH. 

At last I began to climb out of the marshland  and was on solid ground  but not for long.  Still more marsh.what a crap trail….

I began yo follow another creek  down the hill still trying yo keep my feet dry and clean !!.

Soon I  was on a real path  but was aware I had a large climb at the end of the day …the path  was welcome and I was zble to get some pace before the big climb mb came. The climb was steep but mot long snd I was down at the top and heading down  and it wasn’t long until I emerged at the trail head.

I walked to the road  it looked deserted….

But there was traffic but it was going the wrong way.

Oh a car I put out my thumb as it whizzed past  okay I will give it 30  minutes.

A white truck  came by  snd he stopped he was a geologist.  Doing work on water pollution  from am old Copper mine.

He dropped me off at the Rv park $15 bargain.  And $1 for a roll and soap for the shower. 

Most of te guts whom had passed me were  here and set up.

I put up my tent and then had a amazing shower.

OK food  went across the road

Most of the guys were here do I joined them.on a large table.

Mudbath had an enormous  pizza. BOSS and Swiss Chris were drinking beer from huge glasses.  I ordered a burger a d a large soda as still not allowed alcohol  yet.Laterhappy and T-bone joined us we sat there for several hrs before moving g next door. I was still on the sprite. 

Okay well passed my bed time I headed back

As soon as I got into my bag the storm hit again.great flashes lightening  that lit up my tent followed by the sonic boom of the thunder.  God it was so loud

It seemed to go on all night until i fell asleep. 

Milage 19

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s