DAY 88 leaving Steamboat


I slept really well but then with the price of the bed I should lol.

I put on the coffee machine much better with real milk.

I switched on the tv  to catch the news and relaxed as I was in no hurry. Around 8ish I stuck a meal into the microwave.i had planned on eating both last night but then decided I had eaten enough so ill have it for breakfast with another coffee followed  by two yoghurts and an orange .

Okay  I still had  stuff to go into my pack although it was full.

So I pulled  it all  out and started  again,that’s better

Although  there were still a few bits.its no good I’m going to have to leave them .

I did one last round of the room and yes I’m ready.but  it’s only 9 so I’ll make the most of the room.

So one more  coffee. Then u finished off the sprite  then 30 minutes later  finished off the milK

Okay now I’m ready.

I hoisted up my pack  and left the room. I handed  in my key changed my coins into notes and said  goodbye.

It was pricey but I e joued my stay the front desk always knew my name and couldn’t do enough for me.

I walked across  the road and took upmy hitching position. 

Further up the road I could see two other hikers. Let’s see who gets a ride first……I lost lol

But then a ride. My driver had 7 dogs in the car all huskys. Mum & dad and 5 babies (16 weeks). He also has 14 more in Alaska.

He does mushing sled teams.

I was quite impressed. He dropped me at the trail head which was perfect 

 I thanked  him and set off up the trail . It was now 11am  so we will not do a great deal today.

The trail quickly turned into a skidoo  trail but thankfully this one was flat  not  rutted like others.

It headed up but on a much gentler  tract

Then it became guessing this was the old main road.  .

Half way up I stopped and looked around  and behind me was Rabbit Ears. It’s a rock formation  hi on a hill and is very famous.from my angle it doesn’t really look like ears but from other angles it does.

I followed the road up and eventually it came to another trail head and campsite. The trail now became a trail  for a few yards before become a dirt toad for the campsite. The campsite was lush , nice  pitches with a picnic bench. 

And most were rented out. I t also had several lakes. 

The trail became a trail again and headed away from.the campsite.

I met numerous  prople waking and most were chatty like  me lol.

Well I enjoy meeting people. 

I pushed on as it was beginning to get warm.

I crossed over a do not use this bridge.  And carried on up the trail. 

The trail was a very gentle roller coaster  and I felt I had a great pace. Although I was  still stopping to  chat to people. 

Then I met a southbound  hikers. I’m guessing he was flipflopping 

Or finishing off a section. 

Any way he gave me some great advice about wyoming. 

I pushed on until I came to a cross roads. 

I was just checking my app when another hiker caught me. He was from the Chez Republic. 

I let him pass as my foot was hurting  today around  the ankle and as this part of the trail was badly cut up. It was making my foot worse.

But I kept him in sight as I followed  him.eventually  arriving at yet another  trail head.  As I headed down once again I passed about a dozen people going the other way. Many  had fishing rods.

It was almost 2 pm so when I spotted a huge log. I called  lunch. As I sat there still more people pased by . Then another hiker passed.  We chatted for a few minutes before he headed off. He was soon followed by a girl out on her bike. 

Okay snail let’s go. The trail  still headed down.  With the added fun  of log jumping

I  was eventually at the bottom. Hmm where does the trail  go,?

But No they were right.  I Soon came to lake 1 I tried to film but the mossies  were having none of that  so I fled.  The next lake wasn’t so bad . So I took  5 mins.

Then I dotted a couple with their dog coming down  from the other side. Once again we chatted for a while  before heading on opposite  directions. There were a few climbs then flat . Sounds perfect. But I take what I’m yd with a pinch of salt. 

Further along the trsil my boxers and shorts seemed yo gave a disagreement so at the next water I dropped my pack to sort the issue.  Done

I grabbed 1 litre  as the next was in 5 miles and if I stopped before at least I could make a cuppa.

But the trail was still fairly level and I was feeling great. Thank god as the last few days i have had no energy or stamina. 

Wow  its 5.30  come on snail  let’s try to get to at least 6.30 I pushed on  thunder echoed nearby. great that’s all I need. But the rain held off. 

Water  fantastic I filled another  Litre  now I just need a flat spot .

EXCEPT… there were none so 6.30 came and went .it was just after 7 when I said fuck it the tents going up…..

I passed several tents and men wearing their bug nets. 

I think its going to be a compromise!!!.

But then yes I can get mt tent in there.

But OMG It was buggy (Mossies)

I threw up my tent.checked myself and oack for mossies  then got inside dragging in my pack

I soon had tea on and my tent organised

Mileage 15 not at all shabby 

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s