DAY 67 leaving Salida

June 19th

The alarm went  off at 7am I snoozed it and dozed. I am heading back on trail today ,but there is no hurry. The alarm went off 2 more times before I silenced it. I got up at 8 very relaxed and hopefully refreshed. 
I got dressed and went to get breakfast. It was fairly empty so grabbed coffee ,orange juice, eggs, sausage and hash. I timed it just right as the next minute the place was heaving. 
I took my time, refilled both coffee and orange juice before toasting two bagels, I smeared them with butter and jam.
I was just about to eat one when Blister arrived and joined me , we chatted about the weekend and if he was heading out. Indeed he was . I finished my bagels and left him to enjoy his breakfast. 
Okay snail ….all of this needs to fit into this  pack !! eventually did. 
Okay I’m done Okay  I lifted  my pack, scanned the room once more and left.
I walked across the road. Dropped my pack and held out my thumb. 
In the distance I saw to other hikers cross the road and begin waking up towards me
It was Pittsburg & Keebler we had met each other on numerous occasions 
Do you mind if we make a three?
Not at all ,I said  as my arm was aching. Lol.
As we stood their with our thumbs out Blister appeared.  
We  wished each other well and he walked up the road a little further and bloody he’ll a car instantly stopped for him
Hows that for luck!!
But then another car stopped, but room for 1 so my ride.
See you guys soon I said.
My ride works for a surveyor for the forest ,he told me about the dead tress, the beetles etc really informative. 
Then we were here I thanked him and grabbed my pack . As I began to get ready Blister appeared he must have visited the store first. I think we are going to get wet?

BLISTER  passed me and headed up the switch backs as I was still trying to decide if I needed my rain jacket on.
The sky’s then turned black and the decision was made for me.  I just had time to get my pack cover on when whoosh the rain  came almost biblical at times. I pushed on, I was fairly happy until my hands got cold.
Dam I need to buy some proper waterproof warm gloves.
There were a few small climbs but the trail was mainly running along the hill side, until it dropped down  and another trail head. Because it was raining so hard I was reluctant to get my phone out so wasted a bit if time trying to find the trail. 
The trail now began to climb, well its a sky resort so what did I expect, ski-runs are usually high up and these were.
I climbed and climbed although not super high I struggled to catch my breath. But walking through the deserted place with the gondolas , wheelhouse and run signs just fascinated me.

At last the trail split off and as the rain eased and the mist’s  faded I wasn’t pleased to see what was in front of me…
Several very large hills with the faint line up them that was the trail. Great I sighed and pushed on . Each hill seemed to be double the size of the last one.
I struggled up them one by one, not helped by  the  wind which luckily wasn’t as fierce as it had been .After my last hill the trail ran parallel  around but the trail was scree and hard to walk on .There appeared to be a fair amount of snow here but it seemed to have avoided the trail.

I could now see down into the valley and could make out a fine line that could be the trail.
I took a quick break and found that I had cell service. It was nice to receive lots of Father’s Day messages from my kids.
I switched back to aeroplane mode to save juice and began my decent, I was then caught by  Pittsburg & Keebler .
I was feeling good so kept on going and it helps as I was heading down. I passed the 2nd lake, 2 miles to the next. That would be my goal and should be there about 5ish.

I pushed on still heading down, then a runner passed me omg how can he run over this loose rock when I can’t even walk over it
Eventually I came to the next lake. It looked so beautiful and that was in the rain!. There was a board telling you about the lake and fishing and releasing what you had caught.  Okay I thought to the next lake. As I was pondering the boys came past, I set off after them and caught them crossing a super new bridge. once across the trail headed down steeply

But wow trail maintenance was happening . Thank you !
Part of trail was being rerouted and the rest was really well maintained , level and decluttered but as i continued on the rain returned much heavier than earlier , bugger I thought.
Eventually I came to another bridge and could see tents my two friends, who had just finished erecting tents and were jumping in.  I quickly found a spot and did the same. Once organised I went and got water then cooked.
Actually not a bad day 

Mileage   11

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s