DAY 35 A day of two halves

18th May

I was up by 4.45 and on trail by 5 .30 well done me.

I had slept really well last night and with out a top on   steady lol.

So I just had my  top onto hike. 

The first part of the trail was okay and maybe i should have gone on. But then it began to climb a long long steady climb.  Nope couldn’t have done thst last night. And it was one of those climbs that once you start  there is no way to stop.

Okay climb done let’s push  on. There were several camp spots that looked used ,the occupants allready on trail.

The trail has been very well maintained by the club who look after it maybe a bit overboard with the cairns  lol

I pushed on but stopped as I could hear the bugling of elk but couldn’t see any thing.

As I made my way a long the trail I was surprised  on how dusty it was as my feet were kicking up huge plumes.. I passed through several old burns that always makes me sad.

Eventually I came to a gate the trail went right but there was s trail to the left. I followed this  as it led to an amazing view. Omg what a view of the valley  and the two section hikers  were camped here on the ledge .omg what a sweet  spot ,Seems neither of you sleep walk.i said

but epic spot. One of them  gave me a  mountain house ( freeze dried real foòd)  I  will savour that later. 

I pushed on it was a lovely trail.  At 9 am I stopped for my break   and  wow what a sight.  I had views of the whole valley

I sat here  for several minutes. 

Then it was down. Typicaly  steep  and slippery.  SO I  was slow. When I had completed the first part  I stopped again  to gaze at the amazing scenery  before  me..  I was just leaving when the boys caught me.  So I followed after them but had to keep stopping to video and take  pictures.  it took almost an hr to 

Zigzag down this mountain. But the views were incredible.lots of  cati were now in bloom making the mountain side even prettier 

Nearing the bottom  they stopped there was this really beautiful lizard I think geco but I’m a foreigner lol.

I was taking  so many pictures  I lost them   eventually catching  them  again as they were getting  water. It was a spring but no pipe so it neded to be filtered

When I had finished ,I washed out my socks. Shirt  and everything else that was handy. 

Then I poured water over my head omg that feels dso dam good . I pinned my washed socks to my  pack  to dry , then I  was ready.

I was just leaving when Energiser  appeared 

Snailtrainer you must have passed us early.  We chatted then I moved on 13 more miles to water  and its just 11 easy !!

I started well the weight of water not bothering me then I enter the canyon  and it was like  being under  magnifying  glass the heat unbearable. 

The next tree.. but there were none. There,there’s one  sat beneath  were the two sectionals.

I sat there  for 10 mins i really wanted longer. But miles have to be walked

ALL yours Snail

Eventually I set off across wide open plains but I couldn’t cope with the heat. I  spied a tree but there wasn’t  a lot of shade  so I  hung my tarp across and crawled in .I  watched other hikers pass safe beneath my shade. I stayed here for almost an hr before moving I swapped my shirt so it was open,may sun hat.dam  my sunglasses  have broke  dam I need them 

I pushed on but I was knackered I just cant hike in this sun

Fuck what you want me to climb up there!. This was like the Appalacian  trail a scramble up the side of a rock face and in sun

What really. Once  i had climbed up  and got my breath back I pushed on  and just around the next corner sat Uncle Sticks 

We chatted  for a while about  this  sun being  so brutal.

Are you  going to make water? He asked

No I replied  I m ready to camp  but want another break  but will try to do another hour.

I sat down in shade  for  a few minutes until  it cooled down okay 1 more hr

I pushed  on   trying not to look at my watch I had  a   few bumps to climb but nothing too taxing. Okay there .nope  but a little to my right was a small clump of trees.

I dropped my pack and began to level the  ground beneath the tree.

Then set up my tent. 

Once up I found a large rock and carried it back to my camp.cant beat a seat. Rather than sitting in the dirt.

I put my stove together and put on a brew whilst I inflated my mattress and  sorted my gear.

Oh tea it’s amazing how a cuppa can revive me.

Okay  my dinner,I have been looking forward to this all day.

I poured in the boiling water stired it sealed  the pouch and waited.

My view

Oh these meals are so so good. They are a bit expensive so normslly carry just one for a treat but havnt  seen any to buy

Well I did more miles than I thought  night all

Miles 19.5


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s