Day 150

Thursday 6th September.

Breakfast was not until 7 am so there was no rush to leap out if bed so I lay there dozing. At 6.45 I got a call that breakfast was in 15 minutes.
I walked downstairs, grabbed a coffee and sat at the laid table. There was a jug of orange juice and water. a plate of sliced banana and melon. one by one others arrived ,The German lady, 2 sponges, the Ausssie, so-hum , Kaleidoscope and one other. Plates began to appear a large plate of home fries, scrambled egg with cheese and mushroom , bacon and French toast, we dug in as it was so good.

Soon it was time to get ready to leave , but my stuff still covered the bedroom floor. I quickly stuffed it all into pack , before dragging it down stairs and onto the porch. I settled my bill, grabbed fresh water I was ready to go.
I said to kaleidoscope that the skies look black,
“There’s a storm about to hit I would wait it out guys” Dave the owner said
As soon as he said this there was a huge clap of thunder and then it chucked it down huge raindrops that bounced off of the ground .

It rained hard for about 20 minutes .
I enquired if the 2 girls went out ?
“Yes they did” So-hum replied.
At last the rain began to ease.
“Right guys I’m outta here I said slinging my pack up into my back, I grabbed my sticks and marched off down the road.
In the UK when we have a storm it clears the air and makes it fresh, but here it just makes things hot and sticky.

I walked along the road then re-joined the AT. It was fairly steep for the first 10 minutes them it began to even out. okay Snail 7.5 miles to the peak of my first climb, re we ready legs.?
I pushed on through the forest and I had to admit it was a really nice trail no rocks no twisty turns just a straight path. I like this and sped up but it wasn’t long before the trail decided to dive steeply downwards.
Why when you want to climb up the trail takes you down, typically as soon as I was down the climbing started again. I began to follow a creek slowly back up the mountain .It was then that I heard the familiar voices behind me and stepped aside to allow Kaleidoscope and So-hum to pass.
Catch you guys later.
They were hoping for a 15 miles I may be able to match that depending on the terrain .
As I walked I found that my water bladder tube must be kinked so I stopped to fix it ,had some snacks. Okay i need some miles so put on my headphones. Okay Snail let’s climb this mountain. I turned up the volume and began to screech (singing ) to the music.

I shortly caught the girls.
“Did you get wet” I asked laughing.
We might have done the Aussie replied . I walked with them a while before pulling away . It was then the climbing started, a good 10 minutes of hand over hand. Before normality returned although the sun had now decided to come out and it was hot and oh so humid. I hadn’t tied my sweat cloth to my pack so I had nothing to wipe my forehead and so the sweat was stinging my eyes.
Bugger, i said to myself , pushing on . I had a good pace thanks to the lovely trail. but spoke to soon as the trail turned to slabs of rock and began to climb. The views were amazing and shortly i was at the summit. whoop . Okay time to go downs , hopefully not too scary.

But again with the AT you can’t just go down it needs a to tease you and play with you, then it may let you go down. As I crossed over more slabs of rock I came across Kaleidoscope and So-hum taking a break .

“Nice spot” I commented.
“Take it Snail we are just going “.
“That was a better climb than I expected” I said.
“yes that what we thought, So you may make the shelter then Snail ?” said So-hum
“All depends on what’s in front. but I’ll try”. I laughed
I dropped my pack and made a brew, then ate some cheese and biscuits .
I felt pumped as I continued on my way, the sun shinning and the smell of pine as i entered another forest, I shortly emerged back into sunlight, in front stretched mighty electric pylons that marched on for miles in either direction

As I dived back into the forest, i could make out another beautiful looking lake. 10 minutes later i was standing besides it . I sat by the bank staring into the cool looking waters before dragging myself away. As i walked around its edge I spotted my two companions lounging on a small jetty.
“You been in” I asked ?
“No not yet Snail”

I left them to it and continued on, the trail turning left to ford the river. It looked as it had recently flooded as the surrounding grass had been. flattened. I hopped across the stones, arriving safely on the other bank.. The other side was muddy with some large stones to navigate over before the nice trail returned . I pushed on as the trail did its normal roller-coaster for an hour before I came to another river .
I was watering up when my two companions sped past
“See you at camp SNAIL”.

Once I was done I set off After them passing several water meadows where I paused to check for moose. there were tracks and poo but no moose.
I think I am looking too hard I laughed then rejoined the trail
I was in the zone and the trail be and a blur until i reached the next river.

Kaleidoscope and So-hum had their tent up. Great you made if snail what is this it and its not even 4.30.
I wanted to go on, but my tent was soon up I push more miles tomorrow .
I ate tea with my companions whilst trying to train a chipmunk before the sleepiness took over

Start. 2040
Finish. 2054
Miles. 14
miles left. 136


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s