Day 147 Labour Day

Monday 3rd September.

Such luxury to be in a real bed.
But I have to a get up although a real zero would have been great.
I slowly packed up going around the room to check that I hadn’t forgotten anything. My power block appeared to have charged but I still believe that it has a dead cell. so will await their support email. Okay I’m ready final sweep of the room and I’m out of here.

I stood by the road outside the White wolf and stuck out my trusty thumb. A police car passed I waved he waved back but no lift from him. oh well . The next car stopped wow that was good and I was soon stood at the trailhead, I extended my poles and began to walk it was 9.30

A little late but it’s my hike I laughed to myself, it was going to be a climbing day so I didn’t expect big mileage but I would like 12.
It was a beautiful morning as I made my way up my first climb that was called South Horn but the Bigalows were my target for today.

I climbed and climbed it was a nice trail to begin with then it became scrambling then climbing ,hand over hand then some mud jumping followed by and duck boards then back into forest. I passed several beautiful ponds and water meadows, Hoping to see that elusive moose, sadly not. I pushed on until 12.30 when I took a break and ate some snacks.
Come on Snail lets get this done as there was still a lot of mountain to climb. It was another 30 minutes until i crossed the peak of South Horn and was immediately invaded by a swarm of black flies so retreated backwards. I waited till a strong gust of wind moved them so i could carry on..

The flies !!

I began to descend into the forest and escape the flies, as I walked I passed several weekend hikers. In the distance I could see another lovely pond lake, before coming to the sign about the next campsite .
I walked a little way and came to the shelter. There was a man here who introduced himself as the care taker and ridge runner. I ended up chatting to him for at least ten minutes as he was very informative.

Okay I need to get on as I still haven’t got to Bigalows yet.
I pushed on and on I until i reached a clearing with amazing views I wondered if I was here yet but no there was still another huge mountain staring at me . It was over another hour before I began to get near to the summit and as I did the winds arrived .Surely I don’t need to climb up there do I ? I will get blown away by the wind. But yes that’s where the blazes went . really, really I said to myself as I gingerly walked along the knife edge. Whoop finally I’m at Bigalow mountain west peak and wow what amazing views.

As I made my way to Bigalow Avery peak, spots of rain began to fall ..Great I thought it’s 3.45 I think I will call it a day if I can find a place. My luck was certainly in as I stumbled into a camp site with tent platforms, that will do me for today.
I soon had my tent up then i went for water, It was down a little track and was from a spring. I noticed another tent on my way back but didn’t see anyone. Once back at my tent i quickly got a brew on and began to relax.

made my supper then switched off oh only 9 miles that’s not good but I did start late and finish early

Start. 2002
Finish. 2011
Miles. 9
miles left. 179


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s