Day 63 Leaving Glasgow 800 mile marker


I slept reasonably well got up and headed to the launderette.
I changed notes into quaters brought powder and put my clothes on to wash the timer said 30 mins. so I decided to wander back to town I went to the garage and grabbed a coffee and a bacon and egg muffin. pinged it in the microwave ,paid and walked back to the launderette.
It was spacious and very clean. I woofed my muffin and drank my coffee as my clothes finished before popping them into the dryer.
Once done I walked back to the shelter and began to pack up. Once that was done .I decided to take a shower. Omg it felt so good, its  hot water  it takes a bit of figuring out  but once done its fantastic
I had wanted to visit the Italian restaurant for lunch which opens  at 11 am But  someone said the shuttle can take one more.!
So I was then putting my pack into the back of a car. and soon haeding back to the trail . I gave him 5 bucks before hoisting my pack up and setting off down the trail.
it was fairly overcast and cool great for me as there were several large climbs first thing.
As I began my first climb the fog began to close in so you were unaware of your surroundings apart from the fact you were heading up.  I pushed on and up surprised by my energy levels .
Then I heard a friendly voice , it was Bob.
Bob I thought that you would be in front of me..
“Well Ii needed to leave something at the last shelter.” he said
“I laughed, where is Zippy?”
“Behind ”  Bob.said and then he disappeared into the mist.
After an hour I emerged  at the top, but being foggy there was nothing to see. and so quickly began the decent ,after a short spell of down it was  time to climb agin . The next climb was steeper, but I still seemed to race up it again emerging out into daylight. Sat on a rock was Bob and Silver Back.

Is it lunch time I asked putting down my pack. as we  ate and chatted the valley below suddenly appeared through the fog . As we finished and lifted our packs the view once again was replaced by the fog.
I followed Bob down the trail watching him slowly inch away with silverback behind me.. Then once again i caught Bob as he had stopped to chat to  invisible man .
I passed  by him and sped on stopping a little further ahead at the shelter sign. but it was a little off trail  I decided not to visit it. I was just going to walk on  nwhen SilverBack came by.
What have you done with Bob I asked?
She laughed and pushed on.
I thought she had a good pace so I fell in behind and tracked her for several miles. We eventually emerged onto a viewing area but this one had nothing to see. but I spied  a trash can so walked over to loose my rubish.
SilverBack hadn’t stopped so I began to chase her down again and shortly caught her. I followed her for a while before she waved me by.
The trail at this point was really lovely with a great tread meaning I could really push and push I did.
Then it appeared whoop whoop the “800′ Mile marker. as I was taking pictures “Halfway” appeared it’s 800 miles I said to him whoop.
After a photo call I pushed on heading for the road and hoping that there maybe trail magic.
But as I crossed it I was sadly disappointed oh well would of been nice to drink a beer at the 800 mile

the next shelter marker appeared. which I ignored. and pushed on I was only going on for maybe another few miles but I was still flying so still pushed. As I was decending another hill I could see big dam and river . I wondered if I would cross it but then the trail changed directions . Ping went my watch alerting me to the fact it was 4Pm .I decided that I would get water  at the next spot  then I can decide what to do .

I wasn’t long until a creek appeared I dropped my pack and filled 1 litre just in case. I then checked my map 2.5 miles to the shelter, is that all .
I was surprised,  I can do that i said to myself  as  I hoisted up my pack
I set off chasing my next target , oddly I wasn’t tired , 2 miles to go then I came to clay, slippy slidy clay it was like this for at least a mile . I uttered obscenities under my breath as I fought to stay upright at last proper tread reappeared allowing me to push again.
I began to  follow the river again and was about to cross over a bridge when I spied tents .
Snailtrainer someone called.
It was Bob Narley and Happy Feet.
Oh my God ,I walked over to Bob Narley,s tent.
“How’s your foot snail” he asked
” good thanks” I replied .
“Mine’s not , I  got bit by a Spider.”
His foot looked puffy, red and  swollen and sore.
That looks like it might need some attention.
we cahhated a while before i headed off  to find  a place to pitch my tent.
I quickly put it up before hanging my  rope ready for my food bag.
I grabbed my cooking gear and food and sat by the fire ring.
Bob Narley  joined me followed by Happy Feet, We wee cooking when  another Hiker named Tree Beard arrived.
On the other side of the river were Robin Hood and Soul Man.
After supper I cleaned up then straight to bed
A very good day on trail

Miles. walked 20

Start 786
Finish 806
mileage 20 miles
Remaining 1384 Miles

NB  my Vblog is one day out !!


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s