Day 44

Wed 23rd MAY

My alarm went off at 5.30 I reached up and switched it off.

It was still lightly raining outside . but I was snug and warm inside.

At 6.30 I got up had s long wee , then retrieved my food bag. I was going to pack and go but then I had water boiling for tea.

so packed up while it was brewing.

I was ready and on the trail by 7 come on Snail let’s hike . I set off repeating most of yesterday sloshing through mud and water . I must admit to never crossing so much water in all my life . it seemed endless water water every where .

The morning was sunny and warm as I made my way along the trail.trying to avoid the water and deep mud.

and if it wasn’t those two it was crappy rock. I then began to climb and as I did the sun began to vanish into mist. I emerged onto a long open common. I’m sure the views would be amazing on a summer’s DAY but I must had swirling mist . I pushed on quite enjoying the change of scenery. the common stretched out for several miles then began to drop down. In the distance I could see more cows.

and another trailhead and a privy.

I walked over to the privy and opened the door. Yes yes a bin whoop. I emptied my trash a d then used the loo.

I crossed over the trail head trying to avoid the deep mud as I wanted to keep my shoes dry for as long as possible. since again I was in the woods trying to avoid the stellong in the deep streams of water or falling over the slippery roots .

arrrh bloody trail. eventually it got better and I gained more speed as my confidence grew and the pain in my foot numbed. I pushed on a d on until I found the sign pointing to the shelter .

I walked over expecting to find it empty .but there was a lone hiker called f-word who had hurt his foot so was resting.

Where’s the water I asked. down there he cried in his thick southern Accent.

I went and got water that was icy cold .I filtered 2 litres into my bladder then a third that I drank straight down.

F-word said that there maybe trail magic at the next road .

So off I went. I pushed and pushed and several hours later I arrived st a sign saying magic. I walked in and found several hikers sat around fire and two large tarps set up.

The main guy said drop your pack and get something cold. or coffee. I grabbed a coms a d a Banana and sat by the fire. I quickly necked the coke a d so was passed another. but I different to stay too long.

I signed the book and was about to leave when I had more fruit put into my pack.

They then told me about a picnic up the trail with free shuttle.

I thanked them and left. Then crossed the road and began to climb. it would be like this for about an hour. up and up the temperatures rising. then at last the trail began to flatten

I began to speed up until I came across some weekend hikers. there is cell service here they said.

So I stopped took out my phone and switch airplane off. imeaditly it began to buzz and ping

Your correct I said. taking off my pack and reading my phone .

I sat for about 20 minutes messaging my children and friends. before I had to drag myself away .

I gave chase to the hikers and soon caught them. and past them

I began to hike faster and was whizzing fown the trail. maybe it’s s banana thing ! omg I was flying I pushed on passing by the second shelter. but as it was off trail I did not visit it.

It was now 1 and I should take a break so at the next spot I did . I put down my pack. laid out the Tyvek and rested..took of my shoes and aired my feet .

I ate snacks saving the second banana to the end. yummy.

I took 40 minutes before I was ready to hike although the next shelter was only 7 miles away.

Refreshed I pushed on and headed towards the next set of falls. you can hear them miles before you get there.

I slowly began to spiral down. unroll yes I can see them.

I walked close wow they looked fantastic. then I topped up my water and I was gone.

As I hiked i could hear traffic for many miles . eventually I came out into sunlight d could see another trail head and see people resting. I thought I’d go look see if I could loose some more trash. As I walked over two people by a car asked if I o9uld like a cold drink.or beer.

A beer would be great please. I was handed one which I promptly guzzeled so they handed me another. thank you such I said . Sipping this one more slowly.

Here was also the place to get a ride to the picnic.

I did think about it but decided to hike on so left .

Typically the trail climbed steeply omg it was steep and now hot. after 2 hours I was at the top so switched on my phone . imeaditly it began to buzz and ping again.

I sat for ten minutes before pushing on .

I arrived at the next shelter at 5.30. I ummed and arred for several minutes then decided to stay.

The shelter was completely empty . weird .

oh well i exploded my pack .

Then went and got water. once back I began to cook.

Later 2 other hikers arrived we ate tea together before chilling

My day is done


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s