Day 36

Tuesday15th may .

I was determined to make a good start so I was up early and packed by 6.30. drank my tea and woofed a Danish and hit the trail at 7

It was was cool and overcast perfect hiking weather for me.

The trail started with s small but steep climb then I was on my way .

sad I have said I am not a fast hiker. more of a plodder. But I felt I was doing hood mage until handstand and another hiker zoomed past me .

It is a little intimidating but hey hike your own hike.

I pushed on and on passing bumble bee camping in a field and then I came. to 2 hikers who I met late let night who hiked on. I was impressed on the mileage that they had made.

I pushed on until I came to water I drank a litre and topped bladder.

It was 2 miles to laurel falls ..that was first target.

soon I was following the river . I crossed a bridge and climbed up and joinedthe river on the other side

I then continued to follow it as it owed far below me. Now it was time to climb down. the way was huge stone steps so it took me a while. But wow it was worth it .the falls were magnificent. some people were swimming but not me.

so stayed for 40 minutes before moving on. The trail followed the river for most of the day before a huge climb.

I decided to stop for lunch and take another break before tackling the climb

Omg the climb took me 2 hrs and again in my view it was a pointless climb. completely unnecessary. no view no purpose. But this is the AT.

I have to say it was so humid that my shorts were soaked. it seemed that I had a leaking water bottle nut no it was my sweat. YUCK

AT last I was st the top so now headed back down. in the distance thunder began to rumble

I may be getting wet. as I began the ever ending spiral down I was suddenit passed by Beth and speedy . fancy coming out for dinner snail she said

Of course I replied.

Beth is fast so soon was goon.

It was 2 miles to the hostel so I pushed as fast as I could .

In an hour I was at the Hostel. sadly no more rooms .

I checked in grabbed a soda then the heavens opened.

I quickly found a tent spot and put up my tent sorted my gear then went grabbed a shower.

so then met with Beth & Dan . their friends turned up and they invited me for beer then went out to dinner. we went to a pizza place with live music.

it was great I had a 16″ Pizza which was awesome washed down with 4 pints of various ales. we had a great time laughing and enjoying each other’s company..

eventually it was time to leave .once back we had a few more beers then it was time for bed


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s