Day 35 leaving the Hostel

Robs funeral Monday 14th May

even though I was by the road I slept well but woke in the night saturated in sweat not good when your bag is down.

I tried my self down a d went back to sleep walk g at 6.30. I was in no hurry as breakfast wasn’t until 8 am.

But I needed the loo. So unzipped my went and groggy made my wayto the porter potty as I walked. Zippy past me by all packed. Fuck your all packed.

I did my chores then hurried back to my tent dropped my food at and began stuffing items into my bag.

I actually impressed myself that I we packed in 25 minutes. AT record for me. I swept my tent space then slung my pack onto my back and walked the short way back to the hostel.

.my eyes were not REALLY awake but I could see two people waving to me speaking to me……. Omg it was Dan a d Beth. I dropped my pack at the hostel and went and gave the. a huge hug. as it was so nice to see them again. they had bed. picked up by friends at the trail head and had been for beer and food (Envy envy) . Then got to the hostel late last night.

I said I would catch up.later as there was coffee being served downstairs. I drained two large cups flowed by a few Danish.

Then breckfast was announced as .much as you can eat for $12

I am. not familiar with the foods and all of there names. But I left with a very large plate of food that i quickly devoured. washed down with lots of orange juice cranberry juice and more coffee.

I was then ready to head out.i filled up my water then flavoured it with lemonade. I just needed more gas. So had to wait for the store to open.

I went and said goodbyes to Dan & Beth. they were still waiting for laundry and so would be a while..

I hoisted my pack and set off then a pickup stopped a d offered me a ride back to the trail head oh yes please .

I hit the trail at 9am and wanted 17 miles and all ready it was hot. I knew that i had several smallish climbs and then it would be reasonably flat

I started in the forest then exited into lush fields .the trail wound it’s way across and up.

Once again she. you leave a town or resupply you are heavy so my back ached as It grew accustomed to the new Load. THE fields made a nice change as I wound my way across then I came across a very well kept cemetery. I stopped and looked at a few graves more out of curiosity.

Then I walked back to the trail. the forests are l changing with ants and flowers comi g into bloom and the birds singing away. I stopped and tried for 10 minutes to try and get a photo of this bird called a Cardinal.

It is the size of a English blackbirds but it is bright red. But he did t want his photo taking. Also the chipmunk seemed tamer today and a red squirrel made me jump.

But best of all the trail was nice. no big big downs just a gentle roller coaster I loved it. I was in no hurry I thought get to the first shelter see how I feel. Then i came to a side trail that was recommended. it led to a water fall

Oh wow it was lovely

Well I loved it

I stopped and stared for a while before heading back to the main trail. in several more .miles I came to another not quite as grand but still good.

I filled up with water then dropped a bottle top that quickly was washed away. Dam that was careless I said yourself but luckily I carry a spare. I walked on knowing that the next shelted was very near and it was time for a break

The shelter soon appeared and it was fairly new. No one was there so I ate lunch alone signed the shelter log and stuck a sticker on the graffiti board.

Okay next shelter I can do that.

I set off the sun getting hotter and hotter. I would of liked to have started earlier. But I needed that great breakfast. The trail continued as the morning . a lovely gentle trail no rocks . love it so I pushed the miles. the forests again where alive with bird song I think the singing was from these tiny birds called warblers.

I pushed on and on .phew it’s hot I decided to take 10 minutes at 4 pm to rest .

I ate the rest of today’s snacks glugged my lemonade then checked my map 4 miles to go.

6.30 I guesstimated and set off again I had a few up hills so didn’t want to carry any extra water up I had climbed the last one. So pushed on and on .I k we my bladder was low but I didn’t want to stop.

my plan was to fill up every thing at the last water before the shelter, as the shelter had poor water and it was far.

I crossed over a rushing creek , should I get water

But I pushed on . I did this scenario at each water I came to but still carried on .Then I panicked that the last water may be crappy so I filled up at the next water. As I was filtering a young hiker came by . and I explained about the water . So she too grabbed a litre. Okay I mile to go but I was hauling 4 liters which was heavy and of course UP hill.

At last the shelter came into view. I quickly found a tent spot and put up my tent and got organized. I was just getting g my cooking gear when Bob arrived and OMG He had packed me out a beer. Good man. we toasted. each other then necked them .

I made tea then realised my Chilli Mac that I was excited to eat for supper was actually Mac cheese bugger bugger oh well my fault eyes test.

I cooked it up added bacon and pine nuts and it really was good better than the last Mac cheese that I brought but there was lots of it . as I’m eating Zippy arrived and then pig pen

i offere Pig Pen the rest of my dinner but say oh but it’s got bacon in it thinking she may be a veggie. Then I add oh and nuts . she imeaditly spits it out as she .ca t eat nuts . I’m so sorry I say and we laugh.

OOPS !!!!!!!

WE carry on chatting butit is late so we hang our food then turn in. night all


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s