Day 24 leaving Standing Bear.

I slept really well although I would of liked to have slept for longer. but nature had other thoughts or rather the rooster did. .I emerged around 7.30 visited the porter potty then went and grabbed coffee , that tasted so good.i was also pleased to see that my back up battery was showing fully charged.

I was in no hurry to day as the group that I a. rolling with had no plans to leave unroll 12ish.
I ordered 2 breakfast rolls
frozen you have to nuke them yourself. rubbish food but it tasted so good. I then set about trying to catch up on blogs and video. There’s good Wi-Fi but I can’t publish anything. bit did manage to have a conversation on WhatsApp.
I really chilled unroll I notice the gang packing up. you off guys?
I checked my food bag …. yes I think I can make it to hot springs.
so I quickly throw my pack together and then I am off its 11.30.
Omg the first climb is for 4 miles and my pack seems extra heavy although it’s empty.
and mistake no 1 it’s hot and no shade 84 f.. Omg.
I have no energy at all as I crawl up the mountain.
I have to think that this was my worst day. i just couldnt climb.
I really couldn’t do it today.
I kept pausing sucking at my water and stumbling a few steps forward. God this is crap. come on Snail. it took my many hours to huff a d puff my way to the top.
I was really disappointed with myself. why did I struggle so much.
The Top was an aircraft warning station some sort of radar I guess so I dropped my pack and took a 30 min break.
After that I felt so much better and set off down the trail.
I was only going to do an 8 today so I was in no hurry and from now on it would be down.
I pounded as fast as my knees would allow as kt was steep a girls and her Husky past by a d were gone. I wish I could go that fast sign.
I eventually came to the cross roads there were a group of hikers there. but they were going on another 6 miles. bit for me I was done it was. -2 miles to the shelter. I took the shelter trail and soon arrived. big Red was there. but the others had gone on.
I quickly found a place for my tent and put it up as I fended off these little black flies.
I blew up my bed. then took my food down towards the shelter.
magic (Tom) and Tentless were debating whether to go on . finally they tossed a coin .Magic called heads so off they went. Nova the girl with the dog. Big Red and myself cooked tea. There were also two ladies and a gentleman here were a gorgeous choc lab. made me miss my boy .
I made hot chocolate then cooked mash with bacon bits and nuts then I cleaned up and retreated to my tent. got water. then hung my food.
early to bed I think
Not great milage but it was a late start 7 miles.. I need 16 tomorrow night

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s