Day 9 Standing Indian Shelter to Long Branch Shelter mile 102

I slept well and broke camp early, before putting on a brew .
It was sunny but cold,but more importantly my knee felt and looked a lot better. good news. I wanted to reach mile 100 today but that maybe too far.
I packed the rest of my gear,then hoisted up my pack.
It was 8 am my earliest start yet. I waved to the other hikers as I made my way to the trail.  and began my first climb.

I puffed and wheezed as my muscles began working. The first climb took me an hour and once at the top I stopped to remove a layer. I normally start out with 2 liters of water in my bladder flavoured with Crystal lite, a lemonade drink introduced to me by a fella hiker named Tartan on the PCT in 2014.  I love it, but I am also carrying a sachet of wild strawberry  that i was given and  wanted to try.. After the first climb the trail was fairly level and despite my 2 painful knees i was flying . I was covering miles, this was the best day  so far . When watch chimed  informing me  that 3 hours I stopped for a rest and was amazed that I had covered almost 8 miles and it was only 11am. I may be able to reach mile 100 after all.

I pushed on waiting for the obligatory climb. but it never came so I continued cruising,  crushing the miles
Eventually the climb came , I stopped for water and poured in the wild strawberry. It was actually quite quenching although the  lemon is still my favourite, but it makes a nice change  to  mix it up.

I checked my map. wow it’s only 1.1 miles to the Tower. but I knew that it was going to be a steep climb..
OKAY snail here we go .it’s not a race…………….
Omg it was steep, I mean steep. I inched my way up .I had to use my arms to pull myself up  is this really  hiking !!
It was  a really sketchy climb  and my lungs were on fire, after 30 minutes I stopped for a break and water. I chugged down half litre of my strawberry drink, caught my breath and started again.
At last i  reached the top . Made it , there were five other hikers here resting from the climb.
Whoop Whoop I had competed 100 miles a really nice milestone. I took a few photos  as the view from up her was stunning . After a brief  break  it was  time  for the decent  luckily  wasn’t as steep.

I was feeling very pleased with myself as I continued along the trail, it was 2 miles to the next shelter at mile 102.3 and i felt good  even the knees were behaving
At last the shelter came into sight, I quickly found a tent spot andsoon had my tent up. I went for  water on the way back  I stopped at the shelter to chat to fellow hikers.
As I was chatting sunrise appeared shortly folowed by Tarzan and his crew and lastly Dan & Beth.
It was great to catch up with these two as they have been shadowing me . Beth  gave me some extra food as I was almost out. we will try and catch up once in town although they are hopingh tostay with friends
I went back to my tent and made hot tea, then ate supper.

night all Town tomorrow

Start  85.7
Finish  102.3
mileage 16.6
Remaining  2088.9

Video Blog


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s